My Secret Santa decided to treat me to a copy of Stephen Covey’s The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Presumably because I’m ineffective in some way, which is completely true. Here then is my list of how to be a highly ineffective person.
- Social Networking. Check Twitter/Facebook every 5 minutes. Someone might upload a photo of you at any minute. You must know ASAP.
- MSN. Having personal conversations on MSN can sap anything from 10 minutes up to an hour or two from your day.
- Hangovers. Nothing keeps you alert like having a late night the night before. Especially if you are a "2 pint screamer" like myself.
- Wikiwalk. Do a Google search on how to open a file in ruby. An hour later your reading about the Boer War in South Africa. You have no idea how this happened.
- News feeds. Keeping up with the world and what is happening in your industry is important. Reading every article from the 200 feeds you are subscribed too isn’t.
- Coffee Time. Making a cup of tea/coffee is a great little stretch for you. To really be ineffective, make a cup for the rest of the office as well.
- Unread books. Buying books and not reading them is a surefire way to feel smart. I currently have The Passionate Programmer, Linchpin and the 7 habits book waiting to be read/finished.
Is there anything missing. Do you have a favourite time waster? Let everyone know with a comment.